Saturday, August 21, 2010

Benefits of sword training. Any words and advice would be appreciated. Senseis and sifu's most welcome.?

I apoligize if I mispelled abit.





A few days ago I started taken up Kendo sword training. Not for kendo really itself but I've always read and heard from many people including some instructors weapons training was very beneficial for focus and even physcial qualities.





Now what I train in is Tae-kwon-do and Gracie Jiu-jit-su.





I couldn't really get into the ';Bo'; staff for some reason but was determined to try some weapons training still so I decided to take up the sword, I train with the heavy wooden sword ';suburito';. So far just sticking with simple repitions of strikes such half-cut, full-cut and diagniol from left and right, exchanging master hand each time. Over time I will add more strikes and increase my time per session with the sword as my body adjust and becomes more accustomed to it.


So far I'm really enjoying it and I've already noticed some benefits from the training.


My question is what are the over-all benefits and what tips or suggestions for training can you give me so that I may gain more from this?


Also does anyone know about the variation of the ';suburito'; that seems to be shaped like a four-inch by four-inch square piece of lumber (this suppose to be heavier and swings with more wind-resistance, creating a real challenge). If so where might I purchase this? so when I've grown more accusomed to what I'm using now I can use it instead or interchangably.Benefits of sword training. Any words and advice would be appreciated. Senseis and sifu's most welcome.?
Lose the suburito for now, Find a Teacher, and train with a bokken. Once you have a more firm grip on the aspects of sword handling move forward to the suburito. You don't start bowling or baseball with the heaviest ball or bat. Study the movements before you try to learn power. Even power is useless without control and focus. If you are truely seeking a mental focus training, you will be willing to progress at a pace that will take you further. Long journey... many steps....blah blah blah. I'm sure you've heard this all so I will not repeat the cliches, except to say that it's true. Once you learn how to properly cut, not hack, then you can concentrate on strengthening yourself. I will admit, It took me years of training before I could make a cut with 100% speed and strength and still check the swing with no waver in the arc or blade. It is a stength you need to develop in your arms, wrist, hips, lower back and shoulders.


Also, I would avoid the lumber/sword plan, because one aspect you need to concentrate on is blade angle. If you are just looking for weight, get a baseball bat with one of those donut weight rings, but that won't teach you form, as one of the most important things is maintaining the direction of your cutting edge. I know you said you weren't looking for ';defense'; but then you talk about a ';smooth or proper strike';. What gives? Do not pick and chose or you are just some guy with a sword (or stick).





Good Luck


Peace on your Path.Benefits of sword training. Any words and advice would be appreciated. Senseis and sifu's most welcome.?
Some of the physical benefits I got from Suburi training were a more powerful grip, better coordination especially when it comes to footwork, better depth perception and sense of timing and rhythm. It also helped develop proper Tai Sabaki and trains you better in using your hips more to generate power. And most of all, proper breathing techniques, it's not easy swinging the bokken when you're holding your breath(a big no no), so you learn to control your breathing and time it with your strikes and movements.
One of the advantages of training with a sword is that it forces you to work on your meditative focus. Not the initial learning of the strikes by repetition but the actual process of learning to cut with it. In order to cut, you must be paying attention. Without focussing your attention, you cannot cut. So practicing your cut is an excellent way to practice the focus aspect of meditation....which is the foundation of ALL martial arts power. In other words, how strong you are martially is a DIRECT result of your ability to focus. But how do you know what it feels like to focus. How do you know when you are actually doing it and succeeding. Or if you are just fooling yourself.





The cut will show you this very clearly. Buy a REAL sword. This is relatively easy to do, for not much money, these days. Cold Steel makes a number of good ones (warning....these are WEAPONS....not showpieces or toys). If you **** around with one, it WILL sheer someone's arm off. Treat them with RESPECT.





Then, collect a bunch of empty soda bottles and fill them with water. Place them on a stand and practice your strikes....but for real now. Haha...you thought you were doing them correctly. But it didn't work...did it. Don't worry. After hours of doing this you will start to feel what focus is like. Then you will succeed in a cut. Then, with many hours of practice you will be able to hold focus every time. You will notice your practice without the bottles is completely different now. Those strikes are real, even though they are with a wooden sword (which is an actual weapon, I might add....not a practice toy). Were you to hit someone with the wooden sword, using focus, it would seriously injure, maybe even kill them.





Several noted sword masters ONLY used wooden swords, by the way. The weapon isn't the sword. It's the focus.
I highly doubt you'll need sword training if you plan on using it for self defense. Carrying a sword around is quite dangerous, and you'll be very suspicious looking. The only real benefit you'd get out of sword training is perhaps knowing how to swing a stick slightly better.





I honestly would not suggest you training in sword fighting of any sorts unless you want to do it for fun, sport or recreation... Or unless you want to be a sword choreographer for movies.





:)
  • beauty advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment