Saturday, August 21, 2010

Encouragement, words of wisdom, advice for a soon to be first time mum?

Hi there,





I'm a regular poster in the pregnancy section...mostly because I've got nothing but time on my hands, and because this is my first pregnancy and I don't have any family, and few friends around to support me. As I'm sure you all understand, the first pregnancy is nerve-racking, scary, joyful and exciting. Most of what I've learned has been from the internet and those willing to pass on their tid-bits of wisdom. I know when to take what I read with a grain of salt, however - otherwise you end up being a little paranoid and full of not-necessarily-true ideas.





At this point, I'm 33 weeks in. Uncomfortable as all get out, and approaching the home stretch to bringing this baby home.





What sort of advice, wisdom or encouragement do you have that might make these last few weeks more bearable? Sometimes I feel awfully stuck and alone with this pregnancy as I know no ladies who are pregnant or have had children also. I'm desperate for the chit chat, knowledge and optimism that only a mother can provide.





Anything would be appreciated,





thank you~Encouragement, words of wisdom, advice for a soon to be first time mum?
Well, first off, congratulations!!! Having your first baby is so incredibly exciting, and yes, terrifying at the same time! But, being a mother is truly a gift from God, one that can never be explained by words alone.





Once I was in the home stretch and starting to feel uncomfortable I remember telling myself to enjoy every minute of being pregnant because there's always a chance I would not have another baby. You never know if for some strange reason you wouldn't be able to get pregnant again. So, I tried to look at it that way and just smile, knowing I had a real live baby inside of me!! Pregnancy and birth are such miracles, that to me, can only be explained by God. So many things have to go right in the first place to even have conception happen. It's so amazing. So, I always tried to look at it like God was giving me this incredible gift and I need to enjoy it while I can. I know that's hard to do when you're hot, tired, uncomfortable, etc....but you just have to keep focused on that. Soon, you are going to see that sweet newborn face, one that you've been imaging for 9 months....how exciting is that?!





After the baby is born, you are going to be sore, tired, overwhelmed and emotional. This is all completely normal. I don't think I was well enough prepared. I thought I'd go home and start my life with my sweet baby. Well, yes, we did start our sweet little family but I was feeling/experiencing all those things and it was somewhat difficult to deal with. Babies will cry a lot, some more than others, and when you are tired in the middle of the night it can be very very overwhelming. Just remember, it DOES get better. Once the baby starts giving you feedback such as smiling, laughing, cooing, you think, ';oh wow, I can do this. It's going to be okay.'; Our daughter was one of the easiest, calmest babies I've ever met. She is now almost 2 years old and I can't even begin to describe the love I have for her. So, like I said, the newborn stage can be difficult but it does get easier and so much fun.





I'm excited for you! Babies are life changing but SO worth it. I can't imagine not having my daughter in our lives. She is such a blessing. Just today we heard heard singing in her crib over the intercom. Hearing her sweet little voice sing is so amazing. My husband and I just smile at each other and laugh and almost cry, realizing what an awesome gift she really is. Good luck and God bless you and your new baby!!Encouragement, words of wisdom, advice for a soon to be first time mum?
When I was 8 months pregnant, the father left me for someone else, so I know exactly how you feel. I was alone when I went into labor and even drove myself to the hospital.





Being in labor for the first time is probably one of the scariest thing I have ever been through and I won't lie to you and tell you it's easy. Because it's not. It hurts and it's long. But, the end result is amazing. Once they place that baby into your arms, you'll instantly forget the pain you went through. Nothing else matters anymore, because you are finally holding that little person you have waited so long to meet.





As for being comfortable....I don't even know what to suggest. My last few weeks were in the middle of the summer and I was hot and miserable. I suggest kicking back, putting on a movie and taking it easy with some ice cream.





Good luck!!!
1st time mom here and i want to tell you some advice i learned along my 6 months lol. when i was in the delivery room i cried. i had to let it out and i was so terrified i cried and felt so much better so if you have to cry, cry. also if you dont plan on breastfeeding its ok to let the baby sleep in the nursery. you will need your energy for when you go home. dont let the nurses guilt you. also ask them to show you how to swaddle, and any questions you have ask them. try to get some rest in this last month, i woke up to pee every 2 hours it stunk. also its ok to let the house be dirty. its hard juggling a family and a clean house. it doesnt have to be **** n span a quick pick up will do.also if you can try to get the little one on a schedule. it makes your life and theris so much easier. enjoy your time with your baby. take too many pics and give too many kisses. :) good luck mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment